Friday, January 04, 2013

An Affair to Remeber


Let's have a quiet affair they said
Some prayers, a candle, a march and a vigil
Come, have a quiet affair they said
An evening of mourning, a night of remembrance
A quiet, quiet affair they said....

 WELL! Yes!
I'm up for an affair!
A raucous, romping affair instead
An affair with freedom, a reckless affair for my rights
A blistering affair with a smoldering revolution

 And oh!
I have some affairs
 Some affairs I must settle with people
Small, secret people with small, secret thoughts
I have some affairs to settle with mothers
Who chain me at home and stifle my sigh
I have some affairs to settle with fathers
Who touch me at night and stifle my cry
I have some affairs to settle with brothers
Who hack off my head with a righteous knife
I have some affairs to settle with sisters
 Who pluck off my wings before I take flight
I have some affairs to settle with husbands
Who draw me a line and tell me stay safe inside
I have some affairs to settle with wives
Who tell me I'm no more than the children I bear
And yet some affairs to settle with the passer bys
Who bless my destruction and applaud my submission
A few to settle with the leaders of the land
With blinders on of archaic tradition

 Oh yes! I say!
 Let's have an affair!
A roaring, romping, raucous affair
 I quite like having 'em affairs you see
'Cause they just won't get started but for ME.

No comments: