Thursday, April 27, 2006

Advait: A short play (on my sanity)

Dedicated to anyone driving two-year olds home from school.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Amma….."
"Yes?"
"Whats that?"
"Whats what beta?"
"That"
"Whats that beta?"
"I don no Amma."
Silence.
"Amma!"
"What?"
"Umbrella."
"Where? Oh that’s not an umbrella. It’s a palm tree."
"WHY?"
He's deep.
"Becaaaaausseee….it is …a palm tree."
"I’m not kicking you Amma."
I’ve got to admit. It’s a good counter move.
Me: "Yes. That’s true."
"NOOOOOOOO don’t SAY that."
Me (little shocked): "Why?"
"Becaaaaause doon yell at me."
"I am not yelling at you."
"WHY?"
"BECAUSE I AM NOT."
Pause
Advait: "Are you happy?"
"No"
"Are you happy?"
"No"
"Are you happy?"
"YES"
"Why?"
I am about to explode. Perhaps he senses that?
"Say cheese Amma."
"What?"
"I take pictures. Look heeere. Say cheese."
"I can’t. I’m driving."
"WHY?"
"Becausssee….."
He’s heard it before. He cuts me short:"DRIVE PRAAAPERLY."
I'm spluttering incoherently. Thankfully home is near. I relax. Too soon.
"Amma….."
"Hmmmm...?"
"Poopy coming."
The rest is a separate story all by itself.

No comments: