Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Beginning....

So, here I am. On the brink of suburban anonymity. Two kids, one husband and a minivan. Probably the dog is what would push me over. And you really cannot expect to leave your print on the world if you have sunk down way below it already. But don’t mistake me. The suburban world is not a dead one. It is a teeming, heaving underworld of groceries, carpools, alarm clocks, and dishwashers. It’s the strong breath of life that curls up and carries those select few to fame.

I was to be on this air-borne express. I was bound for the stratosphere where I would shine down with fierce genius. So what happened? I probably became too heavy. Contentment can add some serious weight. The warm languor of motherhood can also cause considerable inertia. Throw in that minivan with the DVD feature that keeps the kids happy, and you have sunk almost rock bottom.

But this morning the scales said I was lighter. Something stirs. Suddenly there is a struggle. My hand and head are not submerged. My heart is still beating. I can still write, I can still think, I can still feel. And maybe—make my mark?

So, here I am at the beginning. When I close my eyes so many tales dance in front of me. Like colorful snakes waiting to come alive. Which one shall I bring to life first? I know. Lets start with my beginning. My mother.

2 comments:

kaaju katli said...

Great beginning!
Take care,
Mundu

david raphael israel said...

the gamut of the scale
has rise & fall
whatever be your tale
let's hear it all

cheers,
d.i.