Friday, May 05, 2006

I spy you...Death

Unexpected voice
In a restful night
Faint on my ears
Almost unrecognized
Heralding news of the final breath
Drawn gasping upon a lonely tile
Shoulders sagging
Under a lifetime of guilt
Fingers unclenched
Letting go of all holds
Perhaps it was apt
That he should be naked

The smoking pyre
Blunting my memories
Blurring them
With soot-filled pain
The fire like warm rain
Soaking my face
I sit waiting
Waiting for him to rise
Waiting for this scene to end
Can we go to the next act please?

I spy you Death
Hiding under chairs
Lurking behind doors
Marring every inch
Of my peaceful home
You have hammered my heart
Chiseled my brain
Till I am sculpted proof
Of your unforgiving workmanship
I know once we are pulled
Into your embrace
We cannot step back
Cannot break free
Opiate in your stifling caress
We let go
Of all we were
Of all we could have become
We turn to stone
Silent statues in your home
Smiling photos in ours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very poignant and an exemplary piece of writing. Wish I could write like this. You should look into publishing some of your work. This is great stuff! - Triv