Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why children?

Today at 6:47PM, I felt I knew why I have children. At 7 PM I lost it with them big time - but in the space of those few minutes things seemed shining clear.

Children are the means by which every living creature is allowed to feel priviledged. Wanted, worthwhile, productive (pardon the pun). It is as simple as that. Everything else in life seems to be distributed unfairly. Some people are the 'haves' and others are 'have nots'. But when you care for a child and truly dedicate yourself to his/her nurturing (and that is my definition of a parent)- there is a part of you that becomes so selfless, so pure, so unconditional, so accepting. You are a miracle to yourself, for yourself. As you grow older and life's setbacks dim your pride in every decision you took, I think (and hope) these frustrating little creatures offer you self-esteem. It is greatness taken from the hands of the few and distributed freely for everyone to enjoy- like air, sunshine, water. This love is elemental. And will surely be the end of us all one day.

5 comments:

Anjali said...

liked the time stamp on your emotions :)

Anonymous said...

oh my... that was beautifully written.

-Vaish

Triv said...

Very poignant and can totally relate with those words.

sridharan.ranganathan34 said...

That is spooky. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Nice writeup...

Triv said...

I did write more! Now, your turn!